Many women avoid visiting their gynecologist each year. Whether out of fear or neglect, these appointments are often put off. While it may seem intimidating, this doctor’s visit is crucial to your health. Gynecologists specialize in the care and treatment of women. Whether you are a teenager, pregnant woman, or middle aged, here are a few reasons why your gynecological examination in Conroe is so important to your health.
- Your overall physical health depends on your annual appointments. There’s a reason that the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists recommend that women start seeing their gynecologist between the ages of 13 and 15. This allows the gynecologist to foster a relationship with their patient at a young age and adequately monitor their health as they grow. Your annual appointments will involve recording standard vital signs, checking lymph nodes, and assessing your overall health as well as discussing any gynecological issues that may be present. Visiting your gynecologist isn’t just a time to discuss women’s health problems; it’s the best way to keep you healthy.
- They ensure that your pregnancy remains healthy. Whether you are looking to become pregnant or are already pregnant, a gynecologist should be on your speed dial. These health specialists can track your pregnancy from week one all the way until delivery, ensuring that you are healthy and so is baby. They can also screen for genetic disorders and any other diseases that could be affecting your unborn child. In some cases, your gynecologist may also be an obstetrician. This means that they are licensed to deliver your baby and treat you throughout your pregnancy, making motherhood an easy transition for you.
- Irregular menstruation and other issues. There are many problems that can plague a woman that involve her menstrual cycle. Endometriosis, cramping, and irregular cycles are just a few of them. The more often you see your gynecologist, the easier it is to track these issues and come up with a solution. In fact, it’s better to see a gynecologist than a general physician when experiencing these issues. As soon as you begin to notice issues or changes with your cycle, schedule an appointment with your gynecologist.
- Breast exams save lives. While mammograms are typically only recommended for women over the age of 40, breast exams should be performed regularly. At your yearly checkup, your gynecologist will briefly check for any abnormalities or lumps. If you have a family history of breast cancer, a mammogram may be recommended earlier. These exams could prevent breast cancer and save your life.
- Pelvic exams are necessary. Women who are over the age of 21 should regularly receive pelvic exams. While they may seem uncomfortable, these screenings test for viruses, diseases, STDs and cancers. If conducted annually or once every two years, it can drastically decrease your risk of cancer. If an abnormality is detected, it’s easier to treat before it develops into a more serious condition.
While it may not be your favorite appointment, it’s one of the most important. No matter your stage of life, annual gynecological visits are critical to your health and happiness. Even if it’s been a few years, it’s important to schedule your gynecological checkup in Conroe to ensure that you are in tip-top shape.