As a woman, it’s important to care for yourself and, more particularly, your body. Gynecologists are doctors that specialize in the medical treatment of women and the reproductive system. It’s recommended that you find a gynecologist that you trust and schedule regular appointments to ensure that you remain healthy. During your routine exams, your gynecologist will check for many different diseases and disorders that could impact your health. Here are a few of the most common gyn disorders in Conroe that impact women.
- Pelvic Inflammatory Disease. Also known as PID, this STD is extremely serious. In fact, it’s considered the second most serious sexually transmitted disease occurring in the United States. It’s estimated that over one million women experience PID each year. Due to complications with disease, over 100,000 of those women will become infertile. Those who suffer from PID may experience high fevers, pain in the lower abdomen, and a burning sensation while urinating. If caught early, PID can be treated. Without early intervention, though, PID could cause scar tissue to form, ectopic pregnancies, or long-term pain.
- This is a painful condition in which the tissue that normally lines the inside of the uterus grows on the outside of the uterus. In some cases, endometriosis can spread beyond the ovaries and fallopian tubes to affect other organs. Cysts, fertility issues, extreme pain, and discomfort may occur in those who suffer from this disease. In some cases, the side effects of endometriosis may be resolved through surgeries and medication.
- Polycystic Ovary Syndrome. Sometimes referred to as PCOS, this disorder is caused by an imbalance in a woman’s hormones. While this disorder may be genetic, it can also be a side effect of diabetes. If suffering from PCOS, you may experience acne, weight gain, trouble losing weight, irregular periods, depression, fertility problems, and unwanted facial hair.
- Breast Cancer. This devastating disease can come in many different stages and shapes. It typically occurs in those who are under the age of 50 and kills over 40,000 women each year. While there is no way to prevent breast cancer, there are ways to reduce the risk. Eating a balanced diet, exercising regularly, and scheduling regular appointments with your gynecologist can greatly reduce your risk of developing breast cancer.
- Fibroid Tumors. These nodules of smooth muscle cells develop inside of the uterus. In some instances, they may grow singularly but are oftentimes found in clusters. Typically, fibroid tumors are only found in young women who are of reproductive age. While these tumors are benign, it’s still important to have them examined by a gynecologist.
- Abnormal Pap Smear. It’s recommended that each woman be examined by means of a Pap smear regularly. This is the examination of the pelvis and internal organs. In some cases, the results of the Pap smear come back irregular. If this happens, a colposcopy may be necessary. This sort of biopsy is completed to rule out many different types of cancers.
Take care of yourself and your body. Just as you see the dentist regularly, make it a point to see your gynecologist, too. The best way to avoid ob gyn problems in Conroe is by visiting your gynecologist regularly. With their help, you can catch any small issues before they develop into devastating diseases.